Saturday, November 11, 2006

Thumb Sucker

Reed has been a thumb-sucker since he was six weeks old. He mostly only does it now when he's still, ie. watching a movie or sleeping. But still...having been through one other child with this habit and having seen the unfortunate outcome, which we are still living out at the orthodontist, we would like to stop this as soon as possible. We talk to Reed about it constantly and tell him he's a big boy now and big boys shouldn't suck their thumb, etc., etc. He says, "Okay," but then two seconds later, it's back in his mouth.

The other day, we were having a similar conversation AGAIN, but this time his response was a little different.

Me: Reed, you really need to stop sucking your thumb. You're too big to be sucking your thumb.
Reed: (big sigh) I know. I'll stop sucking it on Saturday. When I watch my Franklin (the turtle) movie, he doesn't suck his thumb.

Me: You're going to stop sucking your thumb on Saturday, huh?

Reed: Yes.

Hmmm. Well, today is Saturday and I saw it in his mouth several times during Saturday morning cartoons. Guess I shouldn't get too used to having the money that I am no longer paying for Lane's braces. The orthodontist will get it back in a few years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home