Tuesday, November 06, 2007

More Conversations with Reed

Reed and I practice rhyming words a lot in the car on the way to school. I'll say, "What rhymes with ____?" and he'll tell me and then it's his turn. Today's rhyming session went like this:

Me: Reed, what rhymes with "tree?"

Reed: See. Mom, what rhymes with "cracked?"

Me: Packed.

Reed: Oh, like, "I need to get packed to go to Mema's or a hotel or something."

Me: Yes. Did you know that's where I'm going with Daddy in a few days?

Reed: To a hotel?

Me: Yes.

Reed: Lucky for you! (he was very sincere; no tone at all in this response)

************************************************************************

As Tim has already headed off to his conference and I won't join him for a couple more days, I picked up Reed from his after-school care today. I went in to get him and was standing there speaking with one of the counselors and was interrupted by Reed.

Reed: Mom, I'm very disappointed in you.

Me: Why, Reed? What did I do?

Reed: (points at the window where it's now dark outside)

Me: Oh, Reed. I'm not any later than usual picking you up. It's just getting dark earlier.

He clearly doesn't believe me. We get in the car and start to drive home and I try to explain the time change again.

Me: Reed, I wasn't late today. We had to change the clocks back on Sunday, so now it's the same time, but it gets dark outside sooner than it used to.

Reed: (still fuming) Yeah. Nice try, Mom.

3 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger 1UP RPG said...

"Nice try." I am cracking up!
p.s. you're "tagged" :)

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Dto3 said...

Reminds me of a conversation I once had with Lane when he was a little younger than Reed. We were reading a book and there were a lot of orange things on one of the pages and I asked Lane what this "fish" was. He said "orange fish," and I thought, OK, that's pretty smart. When I tried to explain that it is actually called a "gold fish," his response was, then why is it "orange?" Couldn't really argue with that.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I found you through your link to my blog. Thanks!

I just had to comment on this post because it totally cracked me up. I can just imagine the adult-like seriousness of his tone. Funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home