Saturday, April 12, 2008

Your Body Can Have A Sense of Humor or BaaaHaaaHaaaaa!

Your body can have a sense of humor and mine is currently going BaaaHaaaHaaaaa! (add evil cackling sound to this as you are reading.) I went to the neurosurgeon on Thursday and he said I was recovering well. I could now drive and go back to work on Monday half-days. I have been going 8 hours between pain meds, so I'm feeling pretty good. I'm thinking to myself, half-days? I feel like I could go back full-days, but I'll do what he says.

So I wake up on Friday morning feeling pretty much like my regular self. WOO-HOO! I have really no pain to speak of and feel like I have some energy. Now, those of you who know me well, know that I don't sit around very well and this whole surgery recovery thing has forced me to step out of life and be taken care of by others. I don't do that very well, I will admit. Lorna and the kids have been AWESOME and have done almost everything that has needed to be taken care of save housecleaning. Housecleaning is usually my thing. Now there has been a growing layer of dust on everything over the past two weeks which has been bugging my anal-retentive self. Sooo, Friday morning, I feeling good, so I decide I can slowly clean the house. This WAS NOT a good idea on my part.

So I start in the morning by dusting the offending surfaces. I still feel good. Then I sweep the whole downstairs and mop. I still feel good. At this point, I take Lane and Maren who are off from school, out to lunch to celebrate Maren's last track meet the night before. By the way, the girl can run. We come back. I vacuum and straighten. I still feel good. Then, I take a break and watch The Seeker (good fantasy flick) with Lane. I still feel good. I decide after sitting for a movie, I'm good to clean bathrooms which are GROSS. So I go clean. I still feel good. Reed has spent the day at the YMCA's all day out, so I go pick him up. I still feel good. I come home and wait for Lorna. I decide to go outside and draw in my sketchbook. I still feel good. Lorna comes home and tells me how she really likes the new creative self I have become this past week and how I really shouldn't have cleaned the house. I still feel pretty good. I sit down on the couch. I fall asleep. Close to an hour and a half later, I wake up. I DO NOT feel good. Can we say false sense of energy and recovery? All that sitting and doing nothing for two weeks had charged my batteries up and in one day, I depleted them pretty much to zero. Your body can have a sense of humor and mine is currently going "BaaaHaaaHaaaaa!"

So, it's Saturday morning and I am back sitting on the couch, recharging with some pain meds in my system contemplating the whole surgery / recovery thing and how I am NOT back to my normal self---- despite what my brain thinks. I'm thinking that my doctor and wife are MUCH more wise than my foolish self. That there is a reason I am supposed to only go back to work half-days next week, and I'm thinking about when to take my afternoon nap which is totally UNLIKE my normal self. So reader BEWARE, your body can have a sense of humor and yours could be saying "BaaaHaaaHaaaaa!" if you don't listen closely.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger 1UP RPG said...

Aw, Tim. I'm sorry about that. I have been led down that road by my body before too. I went back to work two weeks after Eli was born. Granted, at the time, I was only teaching 3 classes 2 days a week, etc. But I learned a valuable lesson that I shared with my sister when she had her baby last month and folks at school started calling to see if she could come in for just one IEP meeting, etc. next week. No one was standing in the halls applauding my return at the university. And no one knew that I felt like a Mack Truck had hit me by the time I went to bed that night. But, it was too late...I was back. I needed to muddle through. There's a reason you're supposed to get SIX WEEKS! :)
Take it easy and try to keep your body from laughing at you.
Brooke

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Dto3 said...

As your favorite brother-in-law, I'm staging an intervention and coming down to clean those bathrooms! Shame on Lorna! Even spinal surgery won't break her record of years without cleaning. . .

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Lorna said...

Dto3,

When will you be here?? The bathrooms are good for now, but they'll need cleaning again in another week or so.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home