Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I feel kinda dirty....


I feel kinda dirty. I'll tell you why. I got fingerprinted today. Our legislature in constant pursuit to "fix" education has deemed it a requirement to have ALL school personnel in the state, fingerprinted and nationally background searched. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't oppose this process. Just look at Pope Benedict apologizing for the Catholic Church scandal yesterday and you can see why this has become a necessity in our society. As a parent of three, I totally support this measure to make our schools safer. As a life-long educator, I totally support this program. However, I went to get fingerprinted today and well folks, there is no way around it. It simply does not matter what kind of person you are in life ---- and I do consider myself to be a good person ---- the WHOLE process of getting fingerprinted just makes you feel dirty. It makes you feel untrusted. It makes you feel like you have done something wrong. Getting fingerprinted WAS NOT on my life list of things I needed to do before I die.

So now, my personal data along with my fingerprints are going to be "housed" at a government agency. I really feel kinda dirty..... Is this what George Orwell forecast in 1984? Have you ever had to do something that made you feel this way? If so, leave a comment ONLY in family-friendly language please. That means you too DT3.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger brooke_hc said...

My mom had to get finger-printed when she moved here and started doing part-time speech path work at a grade school. She went to two different police stations and a courthouse (so she got to feel dirty three times!) and they could not get a good print. My mom's fingers are too smooth apparently. She had an uncle who didn't have fingerprints either. His may have been worn away by years of carpentry work. Hers...maybe a lot of Mary Kay exfoliating lotion? But, now she knows she could always pursue a life of crime after retirement! Nonni on the lam...:)
As for me, a time I felt dirty was when Bob and I applied for energy assistance in grad school. We were living on our little assistantships in an apartment that was really not energy efficient and our power bill was really high even though we kept the thermostat turned as low as we could stand. We had to provide proof of how poor we were and answer questions asked by a woman who didn't make eye contact with us and seemed annoyed by our presence. Changed my ideas about "welfare."

Brooke

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Dto3 said...

I always use family-friendly language. I resent the presumption! I can't believe you haven't had to be finger-printed yet, just to get your drivers license. I guess they only do that to out-of-staters. Then the AICPA required me to be fingerprinted so they would issue me my license. Apparently, nobody trusts me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home