Friday, June 06, 2008

Babies!

Last year, we had a barnswallow couple build a love nest on our front porch directly on top of our porch light. Apparently, this is close to an ideal location. It's sheltered from the elements and any predators and except for the dadgum humans that keep going in and out the front door, I'm sure it would be perfect. We named them Fred and Ethel and awaited lots of little Rickys.

They moved in and soon, four little eggs appeared. But alas, tragedy struck and the eggs never hatched. Mom and Dad Barnswallow packed up and moved away.

However! This year, they (or another barnswallow couple)took a tour of the somewhat dilapidated nest and decided that while it was a fixer-upper, the price was right and they, too moved in. They did indeed fix it up, building a much better, sturdier nest. I left them completely alone and never looked to see if there were eggs in the nest.

Then last week, I went out the front door and saw this:


At first I was concerned about Mama Bird's competency in caring for her young as she never seemed to be around at all, but I guess she was gathering lots of food, as she has fat little baby birds now!

2 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Blogger 1UP RPG said...

Congratulations! I loved your description of the real estate search. We hosted a family of robins this spring who builttheir nest on top of the electric meter on the back of the house. There were 5 blue eggs...I was nervous after I showed the kids that I might have to explain more about life if they didn't hatch, but they did! Baby robins are now flying in and out of the nest and will probably soon leave home...now, robins can REALLY say "they grow up so fast."
Brooke

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Dto3 said...

You say bird family, I say feathery poop producers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home